Fall Simple Salad
Get your taste buds ready for a great fall salad!
Prep Time:15-20 min
- 4 large beets (or 1 can, rinsed thoroughly)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 4 cups salad greens (optional: half arugula), washed and dried
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ pound feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (or ½ teaspoon dried basil)
For dressing, place all ingredients in a jar, shake well and set aside.
Wash beets, place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until beets are fork tender (about 1 hour). Set aside to cool.
To toast pumpkin seeds, place in a dry skillet over medium heat. Move the skillet back and forth over the heat with one hand; stir the seeds using a wooden spoon with the other hand. This will toast the seeds evenly and prevent burning. When seeds begin to puff up and give off a nutty aroma, they are ready. Remove seeds from skillet and set aside.
Place salad greens in large bowl and toss together. Add scallions, toasted pumpkin seeds, beets and feta cheese. Pour dressing over greens until lightly covered. Toss ingredients together and serve chilled.
Nutrition Information: Serving size = 1/6 of salad Calories: 193 Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 9g Sugars: 6g Sodium: 296mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 10g
Recipe adapted from www.minimalistbaker.com