The brain weighs only about three pounds, but it is the most important organ in the body when it comes to behavior, personality, thinking, learning and remembering. Neuropsychology is an interdisciplinary branch of psychology and neuroscience that aims to understand how the brain relates to behavior.
At Pacific Medical Centers, our neuropsychology staff provides evaluation and consultation for a range of problems and conditions that involve the brain and affect behavior. Our neuropsychologist has not only general clinical skills and knowledge of the broad range of mental health problems, but also expert knowledge and skills in neuropsychological testing and assessment.
Neuropsychological assessment can be a lengthy process that involves one-on-one testing with a provider or technician and allows for the evaluation of multiple domains of functioning, including memory, language function, visual-spatial skills, problem-solving/executive-functioning skills and general intellectual skills.
At Pacific Medical Centers, our neuropsychologist provides general neuropsychological services with special focus on:
- Assessment of dementia and age-related cognitive decline through neuropsychological testing and evaluation.
- Traumatic brain injury. A neuropsychological evaluation applies objective psychological tests and other procedures to assess the array of functional strengths and weaknesses for diagnostic purposes and treatment planning.
- Multiple sclerosis. Many people with multiple sclerosis develop neuropsychological problems that can be assessed at Pacific Medical Centers.
- Developmental disabilities. Our neuropsychologist applies neuropsychological assessment and consultation for a range of learning and developmental disabilities, including autism, Asperger syndrome and developmental delays.
- In some cases, consultations and evaluation for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in teenagers and adults.
Find out more about our Neuropsychology specialists, including their practice philosophies and special interests: