Spread the news
For a quick, cool lunch, an open-faced sandwich may be the answer. Our recipes below offer a variety of flavors:
Herbed Ricotta Toast
Ricotta is a smooth, neutral-flavored Italian cheese—and it freezes perfectly! Or try sesame-based tahini for a Mediterranean dairy-free option (see the Zesty Tahini Spread below.)
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 3 minced green onions, white + green parts
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced onion or chives
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hearty bread, sliced thick
Combine all ingredients except bread. Toast some topping and chill the rest—or freeze for later. Enjoy
Adapted from Ina Garten, How Easy Is That?
White Beans & Garlic Spread
A healthy and tasty change from hummus. This requires a food processor or blender. Spread on toast, or thin the mixture a bit more and serve as a dip with chips and vegetables.
- 1 can white beans (cannellini or navy beans), drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: black pepper, parsley, hot sauce, paprika
Drain beans and rinse. Put all ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend very well, until smooth. If it’s too think, add a little more liquid: water, olive oil or lemon juice, as you prefer.
Lentils & Greens on Toast
Red lentils don’t require soaking and cook quickly—perfect for a saucy, healthy quick meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; plus more for serving
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed or minced, 1 left whole
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp. smoked paprika, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup red split lentils
- 2 bunches hardy greens (mature spinach, kale, or Swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves chopped into large pieces
- 1 lemon, halved
- Hearty bread, sliced thick
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, celery, and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until softened but not browned. Stir in red pepper flakes, paprika, and ½ tsp. salt. Add red lentils and 1¼ cups water. Stir, being sure all of the lentils go under the fluid. Lay greens on top of liquid and cover pot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10-15 minutes, until lentils are just cooked through and greens are wilted.
Uncover pot and stir briefly. Simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice into pot. Cover to keep warm.
To serve, generously spoon lentil mixture onto toast. Serve with extra olive oil, lemon wedges and paprika, if you like.
Source: Lentil-Smothered Greens on Fried Bread, by Molly Baz
Zesty Tahini Spread
This spreads adds depth of flavor with cilantro, parsley, cumin and olive oil. This requires a food processor or blender.
Tahini is a butter made of ground sesame seeds. Use this spread on pita bread or toast, with chips, or a dip with vegetables. Add water as needed to get the consistency you need for a spread, dip or sauce.
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 minced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ cup Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cup cilantro
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Hearty toasted bread, pita bread, tortilla chips or vegetables
To prepare, put all ingredients—except the last item—in blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Serve on toast or pita bread, or with chips and sliced vegetables.
Campfire Banana Splits
A yummy old-time camper’s trick. Gather bananas, chocolate pieces, heavy aluminum foil and a campfire or outdoor grill.*
Cut a long slit on banana’s inner curve to create a pocket. Insert chocolate (or other fillings). Wrap in foil and place on fire, away from flames, or in the embers of a cooling fire. Cook 5–15 minutes, or until soft. Lift the packet with tongs and gently squeeze. It’s ready when it gives and feels a bit squishy. Unwrap carefully and dig in with a spoon.
Other scrumptious filling ideas:
Nutella + strawberries.
Mini marshmallow + graham cracker + chocolate
Dulce de leche + coconut + chocolate
White chocolate + candied ginger
Slices of Toblerone, Snickers or other favorite chocolate
*Never barbecue indoors. Vapors are dangerous and may lead to death.