6 Tips to Keep You Lookin‘ Good
The signs and symptoms of many eye issues are so mild that you may not notice them. The best solution? Get routine eye exams. Plus, these six tips are good for eye health.
- Take a “20-20-20” break. Do you get eye strain from computer work or doing close work? Follow the 20-20-20 rule: Look up every 20 minutes and focus on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Choose good sunglasses. UV-blocking sunglasses delay the development of cataracts, help prevent eye damage and help prevent wrinkles and cancer. Choose sunglasses that block 100% of UV-A and UV-B rays.
- Get to know your family tree. Know your family’s history of eye disease. You may be at increased risk for those diseases and may need close monitoring.
- Ouch! Use protective eyewear. The US has 2.5 million eye injuries each year. But many could be prevented! For home projects, choose ANSI-approved eyewear. Wear protective eyewear designed specifically for your sport.
- Stub out that cigarette. Smokers are at increased risk of developing cataracts, macular degeneration and disorders of the blood vessels of the eyes.
- Don’t abuse contact lenses. Follow the instructions about the care and use of contact lenses. Misusing them can result in serious eye conditions that can cause severe pain and vision loss.
The first step to good eye care? Make an appointment. We invite you to learn about our Optometry department.