Mason Jar Rainbow Salad
I enjoy recipes that are flexible with ingredients you already have in your kitchen—and this mason jar salad is no exception.
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic dressing (store bought or mix 1 T of balsamic vinegar, 2 T olive oil and ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard)
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons yellow pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup salad greens of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
To pack this salad, lay salad dressing at the bottom of the jar to avoid soggy salad. Next, pile in your protein, the chickpeas. Next, layer the vegetables in loose rainbow order, perhaps going from yellow (the pepper) to green (broccoli and cucumbers) to blue and red (blueberries, tomatoes). Lastly, top with the greens and sunflower seeds. You can store the salad for 1-2 days. When ready to eat, shake it up and enjoy!
- Use a wide mouth mason jar for easier packing and eating
- When ready to eat, pour into larger bowl for easy access if preferred
- Add a grain like quinoa or cooked farro for a heartier meal.
- Fnd other fun combinations here: www.goodhousekeeping.com.