Pico de Gallo
This is the traditional chopped, fresh salsa that’s so delicious with tacos, huevos rancheros, chips and other south-of-the-border dishes. The tomatoes must be full of flavor, so be choosy. You can even try cherry tomatoes, if you have the patience to chop them!
Prep Time:15 min
- 2 cups fresh, flavorful tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilis (or minced, fresh jalapeño to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
In a bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to combine. Serve with chips or your favorite meal!
Nutritional information per serving (one-fourth of recipe):
Calories: 32 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 152mg Total Carbohydrate: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugars: 3g Protein: 1g
Adapted by Sydney Carroll from All Recipes, author grneyedmustang, August 2018.